When you start a business, you will want to set it up as either a (LLC), PLLC, or a corporation.

There are various types of entities depending on whether you have other members or partners in your company.  You will either incorporate for a corporation or organize for an LLC.

The first step is to choose a name that is not being used by any other person/company and to check to make sure it is available and/or reserve the name.  You can also create a trade name to go by.

The second thing is to determine whether you will be an “S” Corp or a “C” Corp or a “501c3” corp.  You should always consult with an attorney and/or an accountant to determine the best entity to choose before creating either one. Also, an excellent idea to talk with a tax professional.

Corporations will keep minutes and have shareholder meetings.  LLC’s are less formal and typically only have a few members that may or may not also manage the company.  Corporations must file an annual report each year while LLC’s do not.

You will also need to obtain an EIN or Employer Identification Number or a TIN (tax identification number) for tax purposes.  If your company will hire employees or collect sales tax, you will need to make sure you are set up with the proper entities to pay the IRS or State of Arizona for the payroll or sales taxes.

Have any questions about this topic?
We’re ready to listen.

Adoption Attorney | Principal , View my profile

Brittany Labadie is the Managing Partner at Lewis Labadie. She has been working with Lewis Labadie since it opened.  Her current focus is with adoption cases, including juvenile adoptions, adult adoptions, foster care adoptions, same-sex adoption, surrogacy adoptions, and when necessary termination of parental rights. She works throughout the State of Arizona.

Email Brittany